Here are the details for the current Living Social voucher offer by Scuba Shack. If you have any additional questions, contact us or call us at (860) 563-0119. Please read all of this information. Scuba Shack has offered various Living Social vouchers that are not always the same. This information is valid for the most current voucher, sold after Sept. 12, 2013. Each person must redeem vouchers in person at Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill, Conn.
There are three Living Social vouchers.
- The PADI Open Water Diver Class with Certification Dives
- The PADI Open Water Diver class without Certification Dives
- A Four Hour Discover Scuba Experience
You can learn more about Scuba Shack’s PADI Open Water Diver course here, and learn about the Discover Scuba program here. We offer the PADI Open Water Diver class with and without certification dives, since some of our customers may choose to complete their certification dives with an other PADI dive center and instructor. Yes, you can complete your certification dives – at an additional cost – in the Bahamas, Florida Keys, Cayman Islands or just about anywhere in the world.
We complete certification dives in New England from the first weekend in May through the end of October, but if your pool training finishes during the winter, we offer a free academic and pool review session in the spring, prior to your Open Water certification dives in May.
Prior to purchasing your Living Social voucher, you should read about Scuba Shack’s training philosophy and review our Value Story. You must review the first page of the Medical Statement you will need to complete. You should be comfortable in the water. We have you swim 200 yards (any stroke, no time limit) and tread water for 10 minutes.
Our group class is limited to 12 students, and there are usually four or five dive professionals working with students. Group classes are on a set schedule, one night per week for six consecutive weeks. Taking a group class with Scuba Shack is a commitment to learn scuba diving the right way.
If you prefer, you may upgrade to a semi-private or private class for an additional fee.
The PADI Open Water Diver Class with Certification Dives includes instructor fees, pool and classroom rental, transportation and maintenance of provided gear and air fills. Your Living Social voucher also includes the course academics which is completed online, as well as the PADI eLearning Enhancement-Pak (Log book and dive tables). It includes the PADI Open Water certification dives, completed on a group basis with Scuba Shack.
The PADI Open Water Diver Class without Certification Dives includes instructor fees, pool and classroom rental, transportation and maintenance of provided gear and air fills. Your Living Social voucher also includes the course academics which is completed online, as well as the PADI eLearning Enhancement-Pak (Log book and dive tables).
The Four Hour Discover Scuba Experience includes a full introduction to scuba diving in a pool with trained professionals. There will be a review of scuba diving and “how it all works” and more than one hour hands-on with scuba gear in the water. You’ll need to complete the medical statement prior to the course, but all you need for this experience is a bathing suit, towel and a desire to have a little bit of fun while trying something new.
What You’ll Need
Applies to the PADI Open Water Diver class
As mentioned above Scuba Shack does provide most of the equipment you’ll need during the course, but there are some items you will need. Comfort and fit is everything when it comes to enjoying any sport, and scuba diving is no different.
- Students must provide their own personal gear including scuba-quality mask, snorkel, open-heel fins and boots. This is not included because many of our students have already purchased gear from us or another dive center. Scuba Shack offers a 100-Day Satisfaction Guarantee on all the gear we sell in store, plus we offer a 10% discount on most equipment to student divers registered in one of our classes. If you need this gear, students spend between $215 and $315 with us to get set up.
- If you complete your certification dives with us in New England, you will need a hood and gloves to keep your head and hands warm. You may already have hood and gloves, but if you do not, they can be purchased from us starting at $80.
- If you complete your certification dives with us, there may be an admission fee and/or parking fee at the location where we complete the dives.
- Gratuities are customary in diving, especially since certified assistants are not paid for their time.
- You need to be comfortable in the water to take scuba lessons. You’ll need to swim 200 yards and tread water for 10 minutes to show you are comfortable.
- Course academics are completed online, so you’ll need access to the Internet. You may purchase a textbook and DVD in addition to the online program.
Rescheduling and/or Missing a Class
- Once you have redeemed your Living Social voucher and registered for a specific start date, rescheduling your class or your Discover Scuba experience within 21 days of the first day of class results in the promotional value EXPIRING. The amount paid WILL NEVER EXPIRE, and you may register for a future group class.
- By registering for a group class, you will be committing to a specific schedule. If you miss a session or are not prepared for class, you will be required to arrange for a make up session with your instructor. There is an additional fee for this service.
- Our group class is designed to meet the needs of more than 90 percent of our students. Some students may need additional time with their instructor on a private basis to meet the performance requirements of the class. There is an additional fee for this service.
- If you are completing Open Water certification dives with us – which is a weekend commitment – you will be assigned a specific weekend to complete open water certification dives. We do our best to accommodate all the students, but additional fees may be required if you are unable to complete the dives on your scheduled weekend.